Best School Premier Destination: New York
SAVE BIG !!! Call about GROUP discounts, WEEKDAY specials, and PACKAGE deals including Lessons and Gear.
BEST KITEBOARDING CENTER, NEW YORK
The Great South Bay offers world-class kiteboarding conditions within a short ride from NY City. This area is accessible by public transportation and it’s located 30 miles east of New York City. It’s a short 55-minute train ride from Manhattan. This bay offers the most unique instructional terrain, with large flat water lagoons open to all wind directions.
Click HERE to watch the video.
For complete details of our Lessons www.nykitecenter.com
The Best Kiteboarding Center New York Offers:
- A large indoor center designed for kiteboarding instruction including trampoline other innovative instructional tools.
- Complete retail kite shop for all your kiteboarding needs.
- A full range of exciting courses and clinics ranging from beginner to pro level!
- Direct water access through private docks, beach and use of jet skis.
- Kiteboarding access to the Great South Bay and its incredible riding conditions.
- Best Kiteboarding center NY is an IKO affiliated school and teaches using the IKO standards.
The GSB offers a large, shallow body of water, with miles of perfect kiteboarding terrain. Our teaching area is away from boat traffic and extremely safe for learning and practicing kiteboarding. This is where all the water classes will take place. The students will be transported to and from the kite areas via jet ski. It’s only a two minute ride to the kite lagoon. All water lessons will be given using the latest kiteboarding gear.
Listed in Time Out New York Magazine as one of 25 Things to Do Before the Summer Ends!
The Best Kiteboarding Center, New York offers a wide variety of lessons and clinics for beginners, intermediate and advanced riders. All lessons and clinics are done on location at the Kite Center.
If you are coming out for a lesson, please make sure you read What You Need to Know before you arrive at the center.
• PRE-FLIGHT (2 hrs land) Learn about wind, weather and flying power kites. Understand the wind window and learn how to fly the trainer kite. Rig a 4 line inflatable kite and understand all aspects of safety. This is the complete introduction to kiteboarding . Typically class starts at 10:00 am on weekends (all gear included in lesson).
• TAKE OFF (3 hrs water )Review basic concepts taught in Preflight. Fly a 4 line kite in the water. Learn how to do controlled directional body drags, water re-launching kite, self rescue and possibly get up on a board! Beginner Water Class (up to 2 students per instructor, all gear included in the lesson except wetsuit and booties which can be purchased at the center).
• POWER UP (3 hrs water) Review basic concepts taught in “Take Off.” Work on your Waterstarts and board riding (up to 2 students per instructor). All gear included in the lesson except wetsuit and booties which can be purchased at the center.
• CLINIC (8 hrs total) – 2 hr “Preflight”, 3hrs “Take Off” and 3 hrs “Power Up” combo save money by combining 3 essential courses.
• BOARD TIME (3 hrs water) Can you ride both ways but can’t stay upwind yet? You practice on your own with our supervision. Once you get to designated downwind area the jetski will bring you upwind again. Receive tips on riding technique, become more efficient, and eventually learn how to stay upwind.
• NEXT LEVEL (3 hrs water) Jumping, transitions, grabs, blind riding, kite loops and kite loop transitions. Rolls, raleys, spins and board-offs .
• GO PRO (3 hrs water) Advanced unhooked tricks: handle passes, loop 3′s, blind judge, mobes, slim chances, wrapped landings, etc (depending on pro’s availability).
• WAVE GURU (3 hrs water) Shore Break, tides and currents. Directional boards, self rescue in the waves, planning a downwinder, safety, wave etiquette, and tons of wave riding! (up to 2 students per instructor).
• 1 ON 1 KITE COACH (Per Hour) Private lessons of any type of instruction needed given by an instructor following your every move with our gear or our rental gear included (Typically only available on weekdays).
• AFTERNOON DELIGHT (3hrs) Must be able to stay upwind. Transportation is provided to and from the bay. General supervision only. For Afternoon Delight, you can rent gear.
Rental gear is limited, If you plan on using our gear you must reserve in advance.
BOOTIES AND A WETSUIT ARE REQUIRED but not for rent, they are available for purchase at the center.
You can also visit us at our show room! From Penn Station, take the Long Island Railroad to the Amityville Station, and take a 3 minute taxi to the Center (if you have a bike, you can bike from the station!) Click here for the train schedule. We are located in the same building as the South Bay Sailing Center/The Dinghy Shop. Look for the big black flying fish painted on the blue door!
Phone#: (631) 691-0793
Click Here to send an email for general questions to Best Kiteboarding
Best Kite Center New York
334 S Bayview Ave
Amityville, NY 11701
The Wind Window
One of the things that will most help you progress your kitesurfing and kite flying skills in the early stages is having an understanding of how wind direction and kite position affect the power delivery of your kite.
To help you visualize this we have created the simple diagram shown left. Whenever you are stood with the back to the wind you can visualize the ‘power zone’ as experienced by your kite as a quarter of a sphere with you placed at the centre of the quarter. If you look left and right you will see the edges of the wind window, this is where there is least kite power- shown in blue. Directly above your head is top-dead-center, there is also little wind here- but a lot of vertical lift, so you don’t want to keep your kite here, not until you are ready for jumping.
Directly downwind of you, towards the red area of the wind window is the power-zone. This is where all the action takes place, where your kite moves fastest and produces the most power. Once you get your kite control skills in order, this is where most of the fun lives. So to play it safe start off flying your trainer kite around the edge of the window in the blue zone, as you gain more confidence in your kite control, start steering the kite back and down through the power zone to get a taste of what a larger kitesurfing kite will deliver.